Monday, November 29, 2010

Decisions, Decisions!

I'm notoriously terrible at making decisions. Shopping with me is a nightmare because I have to look at everything, try everything on, put things on hold, try them on again...before I can even decide on a single piece of clothing to purchase.*

Right now I am faced with two decisions, one far more important than the other.

First of all, today two people in the Science Ed lab, my friend Anna and my future friend Evan, offered me a desk in their office. It's on the third floor, it has windows, and apparently they've been trying to fill it with "cool people with similar interests." It sounds pretty awesome. I like my office because it's right next to the cafe and I don't share it with anyone. But sharing might be fun, and also I would like to be above ground. But I don't know, will I be able to get as much done there? Is it worth switching?

And then there's the more important decision: Christmas present!! Okay so background: I complain a lot about traveling with my guitar. It SUCKS. My guitar case weighs about 20 pounds without the guitar and the weight is distributed terribly, but that's just the way guitar cases go. I'm also always nervous about it getting lost. I was complaining about this to my dad last weekend and he offered to buy me a new guitar for Christmas. That way, I would have one guitar at home and one at school. This initially seemed excessive, especially since they would probably be of roughly the same quality. But it was really really really thoughtful of him to suggest (my dad doesn't really do gifts, so this was totally nice and unexpected) and I started thinking I would feel extremely guilty if I denied his gift idea. But the more I thought about it (and the more I looked at guitars online), the more I thought about how it might be soooo nice to never travel with my guitar again, and be able to get something a little bit different with a different sound, different maker. 


BUT my plan all along has been to ask for a digital SLR camera (or half of one). I've kind of wanted this since graduation. My dad does not want to get this for me though, on account of it being so expensive. I thought I could wear him down by asking for half the money it would take to buy one, but then he took me off guard with this guitar thing. I would buy one on my own, but I'm (hopefully!!!) about to drop a lot of money on a plane ticket to South Africa to visit Julie with Owen.**

Wait so I wrote all of that and it helped me decide what I'm going to do. I'm going to go for the guitar. It was really nice of my dad to suggest such a thoughtful gift, and I think in the long run it would be a good investment in my musical future. Digital SLRs will always be around.

Thanks for the help, blog!!









*But please consider going shopping with me because I also can never decide whether or not something looks good on me/is worth the price/should be purchased without a few honest outside opinions.

**I purposefully did not cross this out because I wanted to find a way to mention that Owen might be coming with me to visit Julie. We have to solidify dates and stuff, but even the possibility of being with TWO of my housemates in AFRICA is more exciting than my little heart can handle. I might explode.

2 comments:

Murvee said...

I thought we weren´t supposed to read the text with the line through it, but after I skipped that part I realized that we were. That´s all.

Chris said...

hahaha kathayoon you are so funny